• Administrator

[Complete] Você fala Inglês?

Level Five: Department of International Magical Co-operation, incorporating the International Magical Trading Standards Body, the International Magical Office of Law and the International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats.

[Complete] Você fala Inglês?

Postby Colin Rafferty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am

Colin had been sent in this direction to find the Senior Linguist and get them to translate for him. The article was relevant, but it wasn't big enough or important enough to have been translated into English, and Colin most certainly did not speak Portuguese.

He was looking for Isis Frost in order to ask her to translate the article, or if she was unable to find someone who could. Arriving at her office, he knocked on the door - it was open, and carefully he pushed it open. "Hello, Miss Frost?"

Colin was more certainly Scottish.
London
University College of London
Archaeology & Anthropology PhD Student
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Re: Você fala Inglês?

Postby Isis Frost » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

Isis had just pulled her hair down, running a hand through it to smooth it out, before attempting to return to her work. On this particular day she was a bit distracted, though couldn't pinpoint exactly why. Maybe she would go out tonight, let loose. Have some fun. At the thought, Isis almost scoffed. She had an open door policy, as a Senior Linguist, though she rarely had visitors that she wasn't expecting. The gentle tap at her door nearly startled her, and she looked up from the papers in front of her to a gentleman. The papers he had and the fact that she was in his office could only mean a few things. She gave him a gentle smile, though Isis wasn't overly friendly, she wasn't hostile to strangers.

"That's me," she replied, and stood, holding her hand out to shake his. "How can I help you, Mr...?" She raised a brow, hoping he would introduce himself. She sat back down, straightening her navy blue blazer. Her desk was neat, organized, as was the rest of her office.
Ministry of Magic
International Magical Cooperation
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am

"Rafferty!" Colin exclaimed, smiling, stepping further into the room. "Doctor, Colin, Rafferty. You're not busy, are you? Might I take a moment of your time?" Of course, Colin was unusual. He was the muggle archaeologist that worked in the Department of Mystery, or something. He wasn't sure any more. He just knew that, generally, people gave him a side long look and wanted to ask him questions about things he wasn't allowed to talk about.

It was obvious that he wanted something translated, the sheaf of papers in his hands told you that. But Colin didn't seem dissuaded.
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

Rafferty. Doctor. Colin. Isis was confused for a moment. How many names did he have? She knew that Muggles called their healers 'Doctor', and Isis, being raised in a very strict Pureblooded household, had a limited knowledge of the Muggle world, immediately felt herself begin to recoil. The name was familiar, but she couldn't remember where she'd heard it. Isis was much better at faces. "Right," she replied. "How would you like me to refer to you?" she asked, "You can call me Isis, and I'm not too tied up. I'm assuming you have something that needs to be translated." Isis raised a brow at the papers in his hand, reaching out for them.

"You may have a seat if you like," she sad to him, and caught a glimpse at the papers he had. Her first impression told her Spanish, which wad actually as easy to her as English, but when she had the papers in front of her, she realized that they were, in fact, in Portuguese. "This will only take me a few moments, you may wait if you wish." Isis pulled out a few loose pieces of parchment and a self-refilling quill. Whether or not he stayed made no difference to her, though she would never admit that she preferred he stayed for the company. After a few moments, her brows began to furrow. She was very good at her job, but there were a few words that didn't make much sense. "This is a strange document," she said to him. "May I ask what it is?"
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 pm

He took a seat, the long limbed fawn like creature a little awkward. He wore simple trousers and a shirt, the top button unfastened and his tie knot lose, the tail of it flapping around and untucked. One sleeve of the pale blue shirt was rolled up, the other long. "Oh no, you don't need to--" One hand lifted out to stop Isis from immediately going ahead and translating, but then slowly curled back when she made it quite clear that she was going to translate the paper right then and there.

"It's... It's an archaeological publication. At the back, I've uh...I've supplied a list of industry terms. It's a very long paper, over 10,000 words, I don't need it right away." A long pause, the look on his face cautious, baffled. Most linguists he had met tended to shoo him out the room and return his request three months after he had published whatever it was he had wanted to reference that paper for. Delicate eyebrows furrowed, hie forehead crinkled and hands folded over one another in his lap. "Honestly, I'm not in any rush and you are probably very busy with other stuff it's just...well. I don't now any archaeologists who speak Portuguese. Apart from the woman that wrote the paper. Obviously. And...and I don't actually know her. Only of her." An awkward cough, Colin glancing to the ceiling like it might help.
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Isis couldn’t help but watch him as he sat down. He was a funny man, so awkward. Many of her Ravenclaw housemates were this way – incredibly bright, but socially inept. Isis had been raised as a socialite, and therefor could handle herself with complete grace in social situations. "It's... It's an archaeological publication. At the back, I've uh...I've supplied a list of industry terms. It's a very long paper, over 10,000 words, I don't need it right away." He was definitely Muggle-born. She recognized the word now that she saw it in translation. Muggle science. She paused for a moment, taking in a slow, deep breath. Tolerance. He explained that not many Muggle scientists or whatever knew Portuguese, which she figured was his reasoning for bringing it to her. “It’s no problem. I translate at 500 words per minute, and Portuguese is one of my favorites,” she admitted. “I got to spent a summer in Portugal as a reward for earning eleven O.W.L.s. It’s a beautiful language.” She wasn’t sure why she told him that. She nodded towards a framed list on her wall. “Those are the languages I provide translations for. In case you ever need anything else.” Isis hadn’t stopped translating while she was speaking. Once she’d realized what it was, it became much easier for her to figure out the rest.

She looked up for a quick moment and gave him another smile, trying to be friendly. “If you want to go grab a cup of coffee, you don’t have to wait. What department is this for?”
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 am

As bid, Colin stood and headed over towards the list on the wall. He was getting used to the strange looks all the wizards and witches gave him - he didn't like it much. He was a clever man, Colin was aware of this, and once upon a time he had been respected in his field and he was well liked. But of course, in the magical world he was well out of his depth and so he had gotten used to floundering around a little.

Hands slid into his pockets as he lingered, standing, at the list, eyes casting over it far longer than he really needed to. "Department of Mysteries." He replied, glancing over his shoulder. He was used to that phrase doing two things - either people stopped asking their questions and nodded in understanding, or they tried to pry further even though they knew he wasn't allowed to talk about what he was working on. Turning, he leant against the wall, blue eyes watching Miss Frost carefully.
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:46 am

Department of Mysteries. Isis inhaled sharply. Maybe it was the fact that her missing and presumed dead brother's birthday was so close, but Isis was even more sensitive about it than usual. Even just the mention of his department was enough to get a reaction out of her. "I see," was her reply. Of course, her curiosity urged her to ask questions, but she knew the rules.

And then something clicked. Her eyes opened wide. "Oh. You're - " the Muggle. She cut herself off, though she wasn't sure why. Alarm bells began going off inside of her brain, instilled by her parents over the past three decades of her life. She inhaled deeply, quietly, trying to regain her inner composure. She'd only stopped translating for a second, but she quickly resumed her work. Her cheeks felt warm. "This must be a strange world for you," she said to him, her tone even and low.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

"That muggle, yes." Colin smiled softly, it tugged at the corner of his lips and he shrugged a little. "It's okay, I'm used to being the muggle. I suppose you'd have to! It's not like it's an offensive term. And yea, it's odd. But I'm getting used to it. Even bought myself a handsome owl the other day in Diagon Alley! It's..." Colin shrugged, still offering that strange smile and stepping forward, sinking back into the chair.

"It is strange, takes some getting used to. But after chatting to a couple of folks here, it's pretty obvious that my world is just as baffling to some of you guys." A fond smile spread over his lips - Colin had already made a few friends, he was a pretty easy to get along with guy. "But I'm adjusting. And the work is a challenge."
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 pm

From the looks of it, he didn't mind being called a Muggle. There weren't many non-magical people who knew what a Muggle was, so she supposed there was little way of telling whether or not they found it offensive. She even found herself smiling a bit at the mention of him buying an owl. "You can include me in that as well," she told him. Isis had been exposed to a lot of the Muggle world, and still found it baffling. "I've studied Muggle culture for decades and there are things I will never understand. Like the Internet." She shook her head. Plenty of people had tried explaining it to her, but she was just baffled.

"It's good that you're adjusting. Not that you can really talk about the work." Isis understood that more than most people. She paused in her writing for just a moment, before resuming again. "My brother was an Unspeakable." Even as the words left her mouth, she had no idea why she said them. Making conversation by bringing up her missing brother? Probably not her best idea.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Colin knew about unspeakable's.

He knew, very well, and he nodded. There was a soft cough, and he glanced away a moment and then ran his hand through his hair. "There's always two sides to everything." He ended up offering. "If the Nazi's had one the Second World War, Britain would've been painted in a very different light, and be viewed very differently now." Colin offered another smile, a broader, genuine one. "No matter what he did in that war, he will always be your brother. That's no bad thing - people everywhere are multifaceted."

It felt strange, this conversation. He was pretty sure it wasn't the usual sort of conversation one had with a linguist, but Colin was genuinely a nice a person and always tired to help.
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:54 pm

She remained quiet, letting him speak as she continued to translate. Aside from the few industrial terms, it was a fairly easy task compared to her usual work. Isis still listened to what he said, and faces of people she used to know - whether they be dead, in prison, or worse - flashed in her mind. "Thank you for your kind words," she said to him. "Unfortunately, my brother disappeared when the war started. They never found a body." It was amazing how she could say that with such an even, calm keel, when the simple fact that she had no idea what happened pained her every day.

"I take it you've heard a lot about the war," she added, just after turning over the next page.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Colin nodded. "Yea, I've read a lot about it too." Idly, he reached into his pocket, and pulled out his house keys. There was a tiny rubix cube on the end, and he began to fidgit with it.

"It's hard to believe, really. All that time, there was all that stuff going on and I was completely unaware. Most the world was unaware. I mean, I understand why witches and wizards decided to conceal everything, but times are changing. These two worlds, living side by side....I just... it's kinda sad, really. There could be so many benefits if everyone just worked together."
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Isis glanced up just to see the object he was fiddling with, and quickly looked away. "There's a reason we've remained hidden. Witches and wizards have been prosecuted since the beginning of time. Besides," she said, "You're a smart man, well-read on history, I presume. There are only a few possible outcomes if we unveil ourselves to Muggles." She stopped writing for a moment. "One: they fear our power and attempt to extinguish us, which would lead to a bloody, endless war. Two: they are ruled by their fear and wizards - like the ones who started our own war - attempt to rule them. Which could lead to war. Most definitely casualties." Isis rubbed her fingers for a moment before picked up her quill again and continued. Thankfully she was very good at multi-tasking. The translation was getting easier the more she immersed herself, and she was at least two-thirds of the way done.

"You're right, there would be benefits. Unfortunately I think it's best for everyone if we continue to remain hidden." Isis let out a sigh. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I've seen first hand what wizards can do when given too much power. It's not something I'd like to relive."
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:36 pm

"I think you're rather underestimating humanity as a whole there." Colin argued, the words coming out his mouth calm, and gentle. He was the eternal optimist, always trying to find the good in people and in the world. He couldn't understand how people could be so negative about things - especially when the universe was beautiful. "Yes, people would be scared - on both sides, I imagine. Technology is as daunting to some magical people as magic is to normal people. But the persecution of witches and wizards was a long time ago; in the same way women weren't treated as equals, race was a problem too, not to mention people have been executed for their sexual preferences. But as a whole, we are changing."

He looked up, offering a smile, "And Witches and wizards aren't much better - the ostracism of werewolves and the "muggle born" is just as bad; I'm not commenting or judging, but the point I'm trying to make is that the world is constantly changing. Sure, it might not be the time to reveal yourselves, but it should be on the cards. There's a whole universe out there to explore, all we are is one little blue dot circling a star in a sea of stars. Humanity needs to grow up, and utilise all the available resources for the better good."

A pause, the rubix cube solved and then Colin laughed at himself. "Heh, sorry, I'm not normally so deep at three in the afternoon."
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Isis nodded. "You're right," she told him, "we aren't much better. Which is why I believe it is not the right time, nor will it be anytime soon. Most likely not in my lifetime, and I don't know if you know, but wizards can live to be extremely old." When they're not killing each other, that is. She smiled. "Don't apologize, I didn't mean to bring up such heavy topics, though I do appreciate your insight. You're quite intelligent," she said. For a Muggle. Isis couldn't help it. Hatred for Muggles had been so deeply ingrained within her that even when she was faced with one who proved to be a match for her intellectually, she couldn't help but judge them. All she could do was try and keep that judgement discrete. However, while her mother and father's voices echoed in her mind, Isis found herself looking at Colin in a new light.

"If you're normally not this deep at three," she asked him, after a moment, still scribbling, "when are you, then? Color me curious." Surely her parents would disown her for the idea of spending more time than she had to with this man. However, it was those ideas that put them in Azkaban in the first place.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 am

He laughed, finding himself wanting to tell Miss Frost that it was because of a stubbornness to even try in one's lifetime that set humanity back. Colin had seen the ruins of many civilizations - none of them lasted, and it didn't matter if they were magical or not. Humans rose and fell, cultures blossomed and faded and in most of them, people were a little xenophobic and most simply allowed terrible things to happen by not raising a finger.

Still, he wasn't here for a moral debate with the linguist, so he decided to answer her question with a smile, "Oh, normally at about 2 in the morning after an evening of drinking!" Colin was still playing with the rubix cube on his keychain.
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 am

Isis responded to his statement with a quick smirk. She used to be good friends with 2 a.m., about five years ago. Now she was a little too old for that, or so she told herself. Too old, and too jaded. A few moments passed and she set down her quill. "Let me look over this to make sure it all makes sense," Isis stated, muttering a spell that would highlight any grammatical or syntactical errors she'd made. There were a few, there always were, but she quickly corrected them. "All done," she stated, stacking both papers neatly before gently handing the pile over to him. It had taken her a little over thirty minutes, which was average time for her. There was a reason she was a Senior Linguist.

"If you have any questions you can send your new owl. And I have an open door policy." She raised her brow slightly. "Is there anything else I can do for you?" He never did tell her what she was supposed to call him.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille

Postby Colin Rafferty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

Gratefully, he accepted the papers, scanning his eye over the first paragraph and nodding approvingly. "No, no, that is perfect, thank you so much. I had no idea you would do it so quickly! Thanks!"

Colin was very grateful. Standing from the chair he offered his hand again. "Pleasure to meet you, Miss Frost, no doubt I will pester you for all my translations in the future."
London
BIRTHDAY
4/ 3/1970
BLOOD STATUS
Muggle
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | SusieQ

Postby Isis Frost » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:10 am

Linguists had a bad habit of over-estimating how long it took to translate documents, letting others believe an assignment would take hours when it would only take minutes. Isis prided herself on being efficient and precise, and neither of these allowed to her to 'take her time' on something she could do quickly and easily. "You're welcome," she replied. It was what she was paid to do.

"It was a pleasure meeting you as well," Isis said, and then without thinking, added: "You don't have to have a translation to stop by. You won't be pestering me." Oh lord, why did she say that? She immediately wanted to take it back, but at the same time she meant it. Maybe it was just too difficult for her to accept the fact that she'd enjoyed spending time with a Muggle.
Ministry of Magic
Senior Linguist
BIRTHDAY
12/ 1/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Camille