• Administrator

[complete] For Lunch.

Level Five: Department of International Magical Co-operation, incorporating the International Magical Trading Standards Body, the International Magical Office of Law and the International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats.

[complete] For Lunch.

Postby Joel Rayne » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:54 pm

A letter had arrived, flourished with "Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" and addressed to "One Daddy Dearest." Joel couldn't help but chuckle. With two of his children running around the Ministry halls, and the other two still in their early years at Hogwarts, Joel was suffering what was typically considered an "empty nest" syndrome. Today, he had found himself sitting at his desk with the unopened letter, looking at a moving picture of the family five years ago, before the war. Their last family photo. Alex was, at the time, just graduated, and Jenni was getting ready for her fifth year of Hogwarts, and the twins, well, they were still little. Opposites as ever, but little. Sierra had braids running down her back, and Jacob had his hair spiked. Joel remembered the conversation Jacob and Caroline had that day.

"Please, mummy! I want it spiky!"
"No, Jacob. Have your hair down. You look so much cuter with it down."
"I want it spiky! Alex gets his hair spiky!"
It was at that point, as Caroline did up Sierra's braids, that Alex stepped into the living room, fussing with his hair, "Just let him have his hair up, mum. It won't kill him."

Joel sighed, his shoulders slumping as he picked up a potato chip and popped it into his mouth. He sat at his desk, door sprawled open as he opened up the letter. It was common for him to eat or do non-work things with his door open during his lunch break. Being the lead of the office, he was always in and out, up and down. Should one of his subordinates need him, he was willing to drop his personal letters and his sandwich and go help. It was just standard. As he opened the letter, he glanced up, hearing footsteps approaching his office.
Ministry of Magic
International Magical Cooperation
Department Head | Linguist
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Re: For Lunch.

Postby Nicole Harrington » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:14 am

Nicole normally would have been nervous visiting the Ministry. But she'd come to see an old friend, and she came bearing gifts so things should be alright.

The basket she held was huge, barely able to be carried as she headed down into his office, before setting it down on his table. "There you are! One very much belated birthday gift at your service."
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:06 am

Nicole Harrington was a friend of Joel’s, so when she came baring a basket almost as big as her (okay, maybe it was bigger), and started on about it being a very belated birthday gift, the lead of international trading body standards couldn’t help but chuckle. He stood up from his chair and stepped around the desk to give Nicole a friendly hug, before glancing at the basket, a curious look on his face, “First off, I think it’s more of a belated birthday present for you. My birthday was more than six months ago. You should’ve just waited until December of this year,” he added, giving a soft smile at her. But it was true. “Thank you, anyways. I’m sure I’ll be able to send some via Owl Post to the twins. And I’m sure Jenni and Alex would love some of it, too.”

He smiled, taking the basket and setting it on the floor on the side of his desk. He’d need his desk eventually. “I’m glad you stopped by, though. How have you been doing? I feel like it’s been months since we’ve seen each other.” Might’ve only been a few weeks, but Joel was a busy man, so sometimes time didn’t act the same way.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Nicole Harrington » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 am

"But then I'd be a whole year late and I would have to buy two gifts. I've been doing alright. And I think it was roughly two weeks ago. Also, I pretty much cleared out the sections of candies I remembered the kids liked, so please do share with them," Nicole replied with a grin.

She liked all of his kids a lot, and it was no secret she liked to spoil them every once in a while. Even though Alex was kind of old to be spoiled at this point.
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Joel couldn’t help the soft chuckle that escaped his lips as Nicole spoke about missing two birthdays then, and that she basically cleared out all the sections of candy his children loved. He shook his head as he thought for a long minute before finally speaking, “I don’t think you’ve learned this yet, but after you turn forty, you don’t really want birthday presents. What you really want is those around you to be happy – whether it’s your family or your friends,” he pointed out. He gave her a soft smile before tugging over a chair for her to sit in. Joel hardly ever had a chair out in front of his desk unless someone came to talk. Then he’d be a gentleman and pull it over.

“I’m sure the kids would love to see you. You always spoilt them, and I’m sure the twins will be absolutely ecstatic to get candy in the mail. Although, Merlin forbids if Sierra decides to eat it all at once,” he shook his head at the thought. Sierra was spunky and hyper as it was – giving her chocolate on top of that hyper personality was surely a mistake. “Did you bring anything for lunch?” he questioned as he stepped around his desk to take a seat.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Nicole Harrington » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:14 pm

"Ah, everyone deserves gifts now and again. And of course I brought lunch, I'd be a fool not to. Right from the Leaky Cauldron. Two guaranteed delicious, partially healthy meals," She seated herself down before thanking him.
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 am

Joel couldn't help but chuckle at the way Nicole spoke, and gave a nod in understanding, "Well, you do understand that if you did show up without food, I'd be obligated to buy you something from the Atrium, correct? I wouldn't eat lunch in front of you. And, to be honest, this is my favorite kind of sandwich. I made it this morning, so sharing that is off limits," he teased, chuckling. He unwrapped his sandwich and looked at the letter still sitting on his desk, before moving it, letting it lean against the family portrait he looked at so often, "What brings you around, besides just the basket? Just a random visit, or did you get into trouble?" he asked. He was teasing, sure, but it was his protective streak that was asking. Joel, being the oldest and definitely almost twenty years Nicole's senior, he couldn't help but be protective.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Nicole Harrington » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 am

"Nah, nah. You know me. Boring as can be. Not much excitement in the world of wand shops. Unless some fellow discovers a possible new core. But those are usually always hoaxes. It's crazy how many wizards get fooled by some people," She shook her head slightly, before grinning, "So just a random visit."
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Jennifer Rayne » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 am

Jen liked to eat lunch in a variety of places, and one of those was her dad's office. She was really loving her job here, and she'd latched onto Malavika Chandravarkar as her new hero. In fact, she'd love to have lunch with her, but for some reason she always seemed to disappear around that time before Jen could ask her (or just invite herself along).

Today was her dad's day though, and she popped her head into his office with her lunch bag in hand. When she saw Nicole, her smile widened.

"Am I interrupting, or can I eat lunch with you guys?"
Ministry of Magic
Administration
Administrative Clerk
BIRTHDAY
5/ 5/1983
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'9"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Joel Rayne » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Joel couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as Nicole spoke, and he nodded his head, "Some people can't help but realize what they read and hear isn't always truth. With my job, I know. I promise," he winked before taking a rather big bite of his sandwich. Normally he ate in moderation, but he was hungry, and he knew he'd have to go to work again after, so might as well eat now. He was going to say something as he finished swallowing, but a familiar face poked her head in and asked if she was interrupting or if she could eat lunch. Joel knew that Nicole enjoyed Jenni's company, and so the eldest in the room stood up, the smile plastered to his face.

"No, no. Surely you never interrupt, my love," he pointed out. He went to step around his desk and embrace his eldest daughter in what is, none other, than a similar bear-hug he gave Nicole only minutes beforehand. Allowing Jenni into the office, he pulled up a second chair and situated it right next to Nicole, before offering it towards her, "Nicole just stopped by. She brought sweets for you and your siblings. You'll have to stop by later to get them," he grinned, plopping back down in his own chair.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Jennifer Rayne » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:21 am

"You mean I can't have them now?" She asked, enjoying the hug before plopping down into the chair her father had pulled out for her. She smiled at Nicole and added, "Tell daddy you meant for me to have them now, please."
Ministry of Magic
Administration
Administrative Clerk
BIRTHDAY
5/ 5/1983
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'9"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Nicole Harrington » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:49 am

"Welllll," Nicole began sheepishly. She really wasn't the best disciplinarian, "Maybe after lunch? If your father agrees."
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:29 pm

"You know I'm going going to tell you to finish your meal before sweets," Joel nudged at his daughter verbally. As much as he wanted to give in, there were always rules in the house. And even though Jenni was no longer under obligation to follow those rules... well, it was hard for Joel to just let them go, "maybe before you go back to work. If anything, you'll swing by with Alex before going home, I bet. You two are suckers for candy," he teased, laughing as his smile spread across his face. He was so light hearted, even after all of these years of feeling lost and alone and without his other half. It was amazing for some that Joel went on like he did. "I'm glad I have two of some of my favourite ladies joining me for lunch," he added, as he took a bite out of his sandwich.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Jennifer Rayne » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:12 pm

"Maybe just one candy after lunch," Jen offered, always quick to find a compromise if she could, "and then Alex and I can grab the rest on the way home." She grinned. "And then fight over them terribly because deep down we're both still twelve years old."
Ministry of Magic
Administration
Administrative Clerk
BIRTHDAY
5/ 5/1983
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'9"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Nicole Harrington » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:22 pm

"You're never too old for candy. Never. It's one of those things that are just completely fantastic," Nicole promised, "Although it begins to stop loving you back after a while."
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:10 am

Joel snickered at the memory of Jenni and Alex fighting for the last bar of chocolate Caroline brought home the summer after Alex's first year. He pondered about it for a long time before smiling, "Yes, candy is never really the best in large doses. But we'll see, okay, sweetheart? I have to send some to your siblings in Hogwarts, and you know how Jacob gets if you take all of his favorite candy," he pointed out, before giving a sweet smile to the ladies. Joel personally liked the semi-sweet or partially sour candies more than the super sweet candies, but he didn't eat candy all that often, if he was going to be honest. He pondered about it as he took another bite of his sandwich.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Jennifer Rayne » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 am

Jen began unpacking her lunch, a fancy salad from the café in the mall. She added dressing and then smiled at her father.

"We wouldn't take the kids' candy, we're not that bad," she protested. Then she gave a little laugh. "Or at least, I'm not, I can't speak for Alex."
Ministry of Magic
Administration
Administrative Clerk
BIRTHDAY
5/ 5/1983
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'9"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Nicole Harrington » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 pm

"Hopefully, he'd share it. Else it'd just be cruel," She shrugged, a bit ruefully. "Anyway," She paused to take a bit of her meal, "How're you doing? I haven't seen you in forever."

Nicole really hadn't. Things with the shop had been a bit... rough as of late.
London
Pendragon Wands
Wandmaker
BIRTHDAY
11/ 3/1966
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'6
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Joel Rayne » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Joel couldn't help but chuckle quietly, his eyes dancing between his oldest daughter and a long time family friend who's seemed to always be around lately. He pondered about something, before he gave a laugh, "First off, I wouldn't let Alexander take all of the candy for the kiddos. Likewise, Nicole, it's only been a few weeks since we've last seen each other. I'm pretty good. Surviving. I'm thinking on a few things; might take a trip with the younger kids. I know Jenni and Alex would be too busy to take a trip with their old man now, anyways," he teased, winking at his daughter.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Jennifer Rayne » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:42 am

"Oh, I'd love to take a trip with you, though," Jenn said, making a little face. "Of course, there's no way I could get any time off, I just started and I really want to impress Malavika..." she trailed off with a little sigh. "And that answers your question too, Nicole: I've been working and trying to impress Malavika."
Ministry of Magic
Administration
Administrative Clerk
BIRTHDAY
5/ 5/1983
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'9"
PLAYER | Niky