• Administrator

Perfect, a pure paragon

Level Five: Department of International Magical Co-operation, incorporating the International Magical Trading Standards Body, the International Magical Office of Law and the International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats.

Perfect, a pure paragon

Postby Howard Trovato » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:36 pm

The Dept of International Magical Cooperation would seem like a suitable place to find all manner of wizards and witches working in unison. In the world of international law however, whether muggle or otherwise, that was rarely the case. Each side often tried to get an edge, usually to the disadvantage of the other side. While most thought of ancient law as Roman, trial law, had more in common with trial by combat than it did a senate forum. The various schools, the various departments, the various independents, and even a government here or there, all had to be attended to ensure that chaos did not ensue. A delicate balance.

Howard was prompt for his first day back in the office formally. Dressed in a long black suit, and with his hair slicked back. He was a tall and muscular young man who was known as much for his presence as his knowledge of international law. He carried a small briefcase on his right side. In it he had various legal notebooks, and smaller volumes of regulations. Little pocket books that were color coded to make memorizing which reference was needed at what time a little easier. He carried his wand tucked neatly under the breast of his suit jacket. Though it had been sometime since he had been in the office proper, he had not missed the smell of stacks of paperwork. While the highs of winning a case might be grand, the leg work was far more mundane.
Howland had on a bright polished smile as he greeted the office,

“Good morning fair ladies and gentleman.”

He had enjoyed the travel provided by the position in his first years out of legal training. Now though he was seeking a promotion, to Senior Lawyer, and that meant more time in front of the eyes of the power players at the Ministry. He was eager for the challenge, he was the best after all. He wasn’t sure what perks came with being Senior Lawyer, but if the rumors were true, he was eager to find out. He found a empty desk and snapped open his briefcase and began to pull out his various items and arrange them neatly.
Ministry of Magic
International Magical Cooperation
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Re: Perfect, a pure paragon

Postby Joel Rayne » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Being in the Department of International Magical Cooperation for as long as he had been, Joel basically knew everyone. Even though he was the lead of the trading bodies and standards, he still knew everyone. Everyone worked on the same level, and everyone was interconnected -- wizarding lawyers worked alongside linguists; International Trade Clerks worked alongside Sports clerks... everyone worked alongside each other. Then again, Joel had seen his fair share of people come and go; people who had finally given it up and retired; people who had lost their lives in battles and their position was given up. People who had simply given up because this track of the Ministry, while not as hard as the Magical Law Enforcement, was equal to hard work, focused individuals who didn't quite live up to their standards.

And now, as the department head of the department, Joel had to learn to balance everyone together; work those who seemed close to do new things, to have the International Magical Cooperation's department flourish. He was pretty good at being the neutral party, of being the one who made the ultimate decisions. Since losing Caroline and raising four kids, two of which are just a few months from their teenaged years, Joel was pretty confident that he could do all of that without a second thought. It was just one of those days.

Taking a break from his massload of paperwork -- the previous Department head was a rather busybody who kept papers everywhere, instead of being organized, Joel stepped out from what would be considered his "office." He had an upgraded spacious area, but he prefered to wander, to talk to those in his department to see if he could help in any way. He had been there now for so many hours -- since at least six in the morning, so he knew his day was still in the early periods of beginning. He wandered through, greeting some people here and there, and slowed as a man entered the office and greeted everyone.

Most of those working that day didn't particularly seem interested in talking. There was this big scandal overseas that was affecting the way some of the knuts were working, so a good portion of the employees were busy with that. But Joel? Joel saw it. He saw the way he found an empty desk and went about his day. He saw the way he dressed, the way he seemed eager to prove himself. He racked his mind, trying to figure out where he had seen the face, although it must've been several years since the man had returned. He stepped towards the desk, his hands loose at his sides as he gave the wizard lawyer a smile.

"Good morning. Joel Rayne, head of the department. I know I've seen your face before... years ago, I think. Do I have the pleasure?" Just because Joel was a good guy, he even offered his hand out to shake.
Ministry of Magic
Department Head | Linguist
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:58 am

The young attorney had made notes both in his mind, and on his notepads about the layout of the department. He made sure to know who ran the various branches and who ran the department at large. He knew who Joel Rayne was, and he knew his influence in the Ministry. He of course knew the basics, backgrounds and education, family, the simple matters of the management. He also though knew a bit beyond that, interests, hobbies, and any rumor or bit of gossip he could acquire from local rumor mill. There was also signs of hours worked, dedication, and simple social demeanor that indicated quite a bit about a person without them speaking a single word. Joel seemed a friendly sort, social, and perhaps a bit over worked. As he extended the hand Howard glanced over.

The young man had been schooled in the classical sense of male business traditions. He turned his body towards Joel, making sure to make eye contact. He extended his hand to return the shake meeting him at an equal space between him and Joel. His grip was firm, not overbearingly so, but there was a certain squeeze behind the shake that indicated a serious nature behind the charming smile. Presence was a large part of international law. He kept his tone social, but also professional.

“Howard Trovato, Mr. Rayne, and the pleasure is mine. I worked abroad in our field offices for the past three years. “

Howard had graduated top of his class, and was known for his confident, bordering on arrogant personality in the field offices. He was a determined and ambitious young man. Some knew how to use that, some simply saw it as greed and bravado. He dressed and spoke in a manner that indicated success, not just to him, but to others who encountered him. He had always liked the spot light, even back when he was a young student in Slytherin. He hadn’t always made friends with everyone, but he knew who to make friends with. As the saying went, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” To say Joel was on the short list would be an understatement. The man had a great deal of influence, whether he used it or not. As the young man released the grip he kept the warm smile upon his face,

“Seems a rather busy morning Mr. Rayne, if there is any additional way I can assist just let me know.”

Behind the brown eyes of the dark haired young lawyer was a hunger to have a chance. A chance to prove, certainly to Mr. Rayne, that he was the best. He just needed the ball to make the shot. He knew Joel probably had a variety of projects and may leave assigning personal assignments to others, but he still had to take the chance. After all impressing a department head on a first day would be a heck of a way to start back at the ministry.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:42 am

He gave a smile, taking in the way Howard reacted. He pondered for a long moment before giving a nod, "Did you ever work in the ministry before? We do things a little differently in the International Magical Cooperation than in most of the other departments," he nodded, glancing around. Howard was the stereotypical lawyer: ready to help out whenever they could, eager to prove himself. Although, in Joel's head, a lot of promotions came from not only hard work, but loyalty, dedication; not that he would ever say that out loud. After all, he had just been promoted himself, and was still getting his footing. Although, if he was going to be honest, working as the lead of a department was much different than the head of the department. He pondered for a moment before turning his attention back to how Howard spoke, an eagerness to his voice that was almost missed, had Joel been any sort of inattentive.

"It is indeed a busy morning," he started. He stepped from in front of Howard's desk towards a news stand and collected a Daily Prophet which announced the overseas scandal, "the Chinese government has decided to change their policy on their money, and while muggle money might be different, most wizarding communities use the same standard of currency. Because the Chinese Government wanted to change the percentage of their galleons to renminbi ration, it's screwed over the galleons to pounds ratio. Before, it was really in perfect harmony. Our knuts, equal to one penny of British Pound, suddenly is worth half of that. And, clearly, we're not too happy about it."

He set the paper on Howard's desk before glancing around, thinking, "Unless you're good with money, there's nothing to help with right now. There's two things I can suggest to help you with your first official day back. The first is to introduce you to the lead of your department who might have something you could do, or I can find you a project to work on, which might not exactly be in your department."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 am

“I have worked for the Ministry, but not at the Ministry.”

It may have seemed a slight difference, but it was a difference all the same. He had worked for the Dept. in various international capacities, but he had no experience working at the Ministry itself. Howard had always been a quick study though, and not just in academics. Joel was providing more than just questions to the young up and comer, he was providing small glimpses into the things he found important. Howard made mental notes of it, and made sure to keep eye contact when possible. He gave all the indications, from small nods of his head, to the way his body leaned in that he was listening quite attentively to the questions, advice, and commentary being provided by Mr. Rayne.

Howard followed as they walked over to the news area. He listened to the matter, and nodded,

“Currency exchange can often cause a domino effect in the best of circumstances.”

Currency was most likely a delicate matter for the international dept. On the one hand, they had magic and could easily change the minds of those effecting so large a change, but that would be frowned upon. On the other hand, they could not exactly sit back and let the entire wizard and muggle communities tumble into economic despair. A challenging matter to say the least, and judging by the amount of personnel attached to it, the ministry was aware of the significance of the problem. Howard listened to Rayne’s comment and responded with a bright smile,

“It would seem many are already working on the currency matter. I will make proper introductions later this morning. “

He could make his rounds later on in the day. They would be more awake after most of his fellow co-workers had a chance to down their first cup of coffee. His smile twisted slightly into a grin at the comment of doing a project for Joel himself. It was a chance to show his capability, and get his name in front of the head of the department. Whether it was in his area or not was a minor concern. He was a winner, and it was time to score another point on his climb up the ladder. He did love a challenge,

“I can handle any project you can come up with Mr.Rayne, I’m a fast learner.”
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:52 pm

"I doubt that it really matters. If you've worked in the satellite offices, I've been there, too. Multiple times. Even foreign offices have had my feet step through the doors."

He gave a rather lazy shrug of his shoulder as he watched the way Howard was reacting. The young man acted like he wanted to help, and he acted like he had more charm to give than to use. Joel pondered how he could gently remind the young man that actions and cases spoke louder than appearances, but he decided against it. It wasn't something that would necessarily be important right now. He gave a nod as the younger gentleman pointed out that currency exchange often caused a domino effect -- and for a moment, Joel couldn't help but stall.

"Mr. Trovato," he pointed out, dismissing the conversation that the man was going on about, with proper introductions. Those would always be able to have later, regardless of Joel's presence or not, "your actions speak louder than your words, at least to me. Solve cases, show your ability in the ministry -- just because you've got ministry related training doesn't mean you'll fare well here," he added, "and it doesn't help to restate what I just said to make yourself sound like you're eager to please. I'm not going to promote someone on their first day, just because they can rehash what I do at my job."

He straightened his robes, stepping towards a desk, a desk of an International Sports Clerk who looked up from his work but went back to it, and handed it to Howard, in almost an unceremonious way, "I'm sure if you can do any project outside of your department, Mr. Trovato, that you can easily handle this one. There's been a dispute on the prices of Quidditch jerseys for fans, even though there's a set price in at least certain places. Perhaps you can read through the file and figure it out. It's kind of on our backburner right now, but you're a fast learner, right?"
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 am

There was little doubt that the department head had a bit of ego himself. Not surprising considering taking a leadership role usually required a bit of arrogance, the idea that one individual should lead others. For the young man, actions may have spoken louder than words, but being his first day back he was lacking in those. So he made up for it with bluster and bravado, which seemed to strike an unwelcome cord in Mr. Rayne. Howard wondered if it was that Joel simply had seen too much flash and not enough substance before, or if he saw a bit of his younger side in Howard. People often longed for youth, and the attitude of immortality that came with it.

Howard took it all with stride; he kept his winning smile and pleasing tone in place. He did not change his manner in attentiveness. To the handsome young lawyer this was all part of the game. A bit of push to see how his new head would react. Some reaction was better than no reaction, and in Howard’s view there was no such thing as bad self-advertisement. Long as he was remembered, he could fine tune the rest later on. He snapped his fingers and shook his head, and commented in a playful fashion,

“No promotion on my first day? Such a shame and here I had already put a payment down on the new Rolls.”

He simply smiled once more as a bit of work was handed to him. It may have not gone the exact direction he originally thought, but he had his assignment, and that was what he really wanted after all. He listened to the assignment, and nodded a few times to indicate he understood what was being said. He smiled one final time and nodded his head,

“Indeed I can Mr. Rayne, and I absolutely will handle this.”

An excuse to hob knob with Qudditch executives and interview a few of the more attractive sales representatives was just up his alley. He could get through the file in an afternoon; speed reading was a useful skill in the legal profession. It was more about knowing what facts to glean and what superficial information to ignore. It would be a good test, and a chance to show Mr. Rayne that no one handled a case like Howard Trovato. He waited a few moments to see if Mr. Rayne had any final words on the matter, otherwise he would head to his desk and start reading.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Joel was never an egotistical person, but he knew what he was doing. He knew leadership skills took a great deal of confidence and perseverance, and even with his luck, with the five year grief that seemed to have settled on his shoulders, he knew what he was doing. His eyes and facial features never expressed his disdain or discomfort. Hell, his facial features didn't even betray the annoyance he felt at the new kid coming in and thinking he owned the place. But that wasn't something that Joel would outwardly express or even express it in general. He was a professional at his job, and being the department head proved that. He handed the file to Howard, ignoring the slight comebacks and simply turned his attention elsewhere.

"Then if you're so speedy at these, I expect a full detailed report on how to fix it by tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, if you can't do it in that short of time, by the end of the week. This will be your primary focus unless something more pressing comes to your desk," Joel pointed out, giving a rather curt but serious nod, towards him, "Good luck. If you need me, my office is the one at the end. Otherwise, you can also ask any of the leads of the departments or the assistant department head."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Bosses never seemed to change in Howards view. They always wanted something done, faster, quicker, and better than expectations. He supposed perhaps it kept the workforce on its toes. Joel indicated the same, but at least he was kind enough to offer a “Good Luck”, that was different. Howard found it odd that a wizard would believe in something like “luck”, then again it was just a saying. The man nodded and left the young lawyer to the task at hand. Howard finished organizing his desk, priorities first, then set about to the task at hand. He pulled out a small bottle of purified water, unscrewed the white cap and took a small drink. He stacked the folder, and opened it up.

The first step Howard took was to set the papers in the case file into neat stacks by subject matter. He found organization, and identifying the path from question to answer in a logical method, the best way to tackle a problem. He put papers relating to past price history on Qudditch jersey’s in one stack, receipts and billing records for the places that had set prices in another. He then put a small paper on the types of Jerseys sold in its own separate place on his desk, by itself; it included the three basic types, a regular team jersey, a named player jersey, and an autographed jersey. He also included next to it the paper of a list of professional quidditch teams and leagues. He now had two main stacks, a stack of history and a stack of the present. He would need to come up with two main solutions. It may only need one, but he always found it useful to have a plan B.

Howard looked at the places where they had sold the Jerseys at certain prices first, and pulled out a small hand held notepad to perform some simple math. The first location with set prices was France. He started with autographed sports jersey’s which had sold for the highest amount; he focused on current famous players as historical players was questionable. He took the three autographed jerseys from three well-known players, and the prices came in at $400, $500, and $550. Howard jotted down the average of $500. Then he took the price of non-autographed jerseys and did the same, but with a larger pool of prices, this time his average came in at $150. Finally he took the regular team jersey’s, which had the largest sales history, and came with the average of $50. He took a sip of his water, and wrote down on a different sheet of paper, France: $500, $150, $50. It gave him a quick cheat sheet.

He looked over the information and nodded to himself once. Next he looked back through the information, he needed another methodology. He decided to go back through the numbers and rather than flat averages use weighted averages. He took the three prices each jersey type sold at the most, the median numbers, and averaged those three medians. They regularly sold a bit lower than the averages, as some odd jersey sales pulled the basic average up. The new method provided him with $450 for autographed, $145 for non-autographed, and $48 for regular team Jerseys, he wrote it down a small piece of paper, France: $450, $145, $48. The two methodologies, one using the basic average and the other using a weighted average seemed logical, and he could explain it easy enough without needing advanced statistics.
He did the same with other locations where they had certain regular prices for Jerseys. He picked Argentina and Brazil in South America. Argentina’s basic average was $425, $120, and $40, and it’s weighted was, $437, $100, and $42. Brazil had a fairly similar set of numbers, its basic average was $435, $125, and $40, and it’s weighted was $428, $110, and $40. Then he took the numbers in the United States by itself, it’s basic was similar to France, a bit on the higher end. The United States basic average was $475, $140, $50, and its weighted average was $435, $155, and $49. He then took Japan, he wanted something with an Asian influence, its prices were quite high, and the basic average was $600, $212 and $75, it’s weighted was $550, $175, and $78. Finally he took Egypt, as not every country had set prices, it was similar to Brazil’s prices, its basic average was $410, $115, and $41, and it’s weighted was $425, $105, and $36. He felt if Joel or the ministry liked the method, they could always apply it to other locales.

He pulled out his wand, and with a simple spell lifted the numbers off the page into the air, and placed them into a neat table on a large whiteboard.

Country Basic Average Prices (Autographed, non-autographed, Team) Weighted Average Prices (Autographed, non-autographed, Team)
France $500, $150, $50 $450, $145, $48
Brazil $435, $125, $40 $428, $110, $40
Argentina $425, $120, $40 $437, $100, $42
United States $475, $140, $50 $435, $155, $49
Japan $600, $212, $75 $550, $175, $78
Egypt $410, $115, $41 $425, $105, $36
England (London area) $525, $135, $55 $550, $140, $50

The prices of the outliers were of little indication relating to the dispute. Fans would want to see action or at least a recommendation from the ministry. The variation in prices would make it difficult to set any kind of global average, especially when it went beyond National teams and Regional or local teams were considered. The difference in the two methods also meant that trying to set a flat rate on all jerseys would also prove difficult. Given the large amount of non-regulated sales it also had varied the price by making it seem artificially higher than it was in certain regions. Howard would recommend the ministry handle the dispute by providing a recommendation of set prices using regional prices, and a weighted average. He knew legally speaking that while the quidditch teams themselves had legal rights to determine their own prices, a ministry recommendation would carry a great deal of weight, especially if it was backed by fact. Howard had one final lead he wanted to chase down and planned to do so that evening.

The next day, in the morning, after Joel had a chance to grab his morning coffee and get settled, came a firm knock on his door as Howard waited outside with his whiteboard, notes and case brief.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 am

Joel had spent the rest of the day busy between offices, as well as the stack of work that was left over from the previous director of the International Magical Cooperation department. It was a bit of a hassle, but he had made heads and tails of it within several hours. By the time he left work that evening, his office looked less like a library and definitely more of an office. At least now he could get actual work done on his desk rather than having to move stacks upon stacks of old paperwork. He still had some things to take care of, but at least he was getting a dent in his work, on top of everything else.

The next morning, as usual, he was one of the first into the office. He was hoping to take care of some minuscule paperwork before most of the department managed to wander into the floor. With tea in hand, he managed to get through one file of his still piled up pile of paperwork before a knock came at his door. He rubbed his face and leaned back in his chair a little, rearranging things on his desk to not look as busy as he was, "Enter."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 am

Howard waited for Joel to speak enter before he turned the door knob and entered the office. It was as he expected most offices to look, full of paperwork. The paper had been organized into stacks, and appeared to not be overwhelming. Howard was in a three piece suit of dark blue, and a blue tie. While at work he tried to keep his colors to either blue or black, there was not an official dress code per say, but he liked to look professional. When he saw Joel he offered a warm smile and a bright cheery greeting.

“Good morning Mr. Rayne.”

The first meeting had been a mixture of reactions and it had left the young man on questionable footing to say the least. While Joel seemed to admire his punctual nature, professional attitude and energy, he had seemed a bit off put by his overabundance of confidence. Off put might have been the wrong choice of words, it was more of a vocal acknowledgement that Howard had not really proven his worth yet, which was a factual admission if not a welcome one. Today he planned to put a small asterisk in the column of getting work done. He may not be the most experienced in his field, but he was a diligent worker, and very least he hoped to show that in his presentation today. He had a small board with numbers, and several stacks of paper, but he would only provide the information his boss actually wanted.

“Per my assignment I have an opinion ready on the case, and documentation to support the findings. I can go over the matter step by step, or I can just state the opinion and leave the documentation for you to review at a later date. If you are extremely busy I can leave the opinion and the evidence documentation and we can discuss it at a later date.”

Howard had limited experience with supervisory staff; he was more familiar with Judges. Judges in general varied from court to court. Some judges wanted to hear a whole case, others just wanted the bottom line, and some just wanted to be done with the matter as quickly as possible. He was a long way from his early legal days, but he still had some strides to make if he had any hope of making senior partner any time soon. On the bright side his other meetings at the Ministry had been going quite well of late, if he could prove himself to his new boss that would be a firm step in the right direction. It had been years since his quiditch days, but he knew if you wanted to win you had to be willing to take a risk now and then. He hoped this risk would be worth the reward, or at very least show he had some initiative.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 am

Joel sat back slightly in his chair, his fingers tapping the arm rest of it slightly as he watched Howard and listened to the man’s words. He was busy, but he didn’t particularly care about pausing to listen to other theories or other work that was completed and that needed an opinion. He waved off Howard in the middle of his sentence, trying to point out this and that and Joel leaned back in his chair.

“You can simply ask if I have time to listen. You can simply say what you want, instead of having to explain every little option,” Joel pointed out, “I want straight and simple, Howard. Let’s hear it. You have ten minutes to talk, and then I’m going to ask you questions on what you found. You best get things set up and going.”

Ten minutes didn’t seem like a lot, but sometimes, these conversations ended up going for hours. Joel had other things to do, like making sure the whole currency exchange was coming along alright, but he never turned down listening to his workers’ theories on what was going on. He made a quiet note to check on his department right before lunch, and waited for Howard to start talking.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:06 am

Howard listened, nodded his head once, and set up his presentation. There was no point discussing the matter any further. Joel Rayne had a way he wanted things, and it was his department. The young man placed two boards of numbers, one to the right and one to the left. He had ten minutes to present, but in speaking terms that was more than enough time to make relevant points, and leave room for questions or follow up comments if needed. He had a small set of index cards, notes to remind him if he forgot some issue or comment during his speech. He pulled out his wand, uttered a word to provide it a light glow. He cleared his throat and began,

“The case presented was a dispute on the prices of Quidditch jerseys for fans.

Based on the case presented, and the information provided, it my opinion that the best course of action is to have the ministry to provide a recommendation for prices to be set for Quiditch national teams based on regional and statistical data. It would allow the Quidditch stadiums certainty, and allow smaller teams to benefit from flow down while still maintaining price flexibility. I have provided two sets of numbers using two different methodologies to determine prices.”

He made sure to speak clearly, slowly, and to pause at the end of each sentence. It may have taken a few more seconds, but concise statements always served better. A well-presented bad argument was always better than a rushed good argument, in his view. He continued on as he pointed towards the first board that had a set of numbers.

Basic Average Prices (Autographed, non-autographed, Team)

France: $500, $150, $50
Brazil: $435, $125, $40
Argentina: $425, $120, $40
United States: $475, $140, $50
Japan: $600, $212, $75
Egypt: $600, $212, $75
England (London Area): $525, $135, $55

Howard explained the numbers briefly,

“The numbers listed are used by taking information from the places that had set prices, and determining a standard mathematical average. I used jerseys autographed by a team member as the high mark, non-autographed player named team jerseys as a middle, and regular team jerseys lacking a name as a low.”

He then pointed to a second set of numbers, on the second board,

Weighted Average Prices (Autographed, non-autographed, Team)
France: $450, $145, $48
Brazil: $428, $110, $40
Argentina $437, $100, $42
United States: $435, $155, $49
Japan: $550, $175, $78
Egypt: $425, $105, $36
England (London area): $550, $140, $50

“In the second set I took the three median prices, and averaged those together for each item. It provides a weighted average. This provides a more narrowed pool to pull the prices from.”

He went back to standing in the middle of both boards. He cleared his throat one final time before concluding.

“In conclusion, I think the first set of prices would provide a solid recommendation to handle the dispute. Do you have any questions at this time?”

He felt rather proud of himself all things considered. He had taken a case, that wasn’t even in his swim lane, and overnight researched, compiled data, and presented a well thought out argument. It was a fine way to start his first week back. He was fast making friends across campus, and it was welcome to once again have some real work to do in his department. He wasn’t sure Mr. Rayne would like his methodology, but he hoped at very least the man could see he had put effort into it. He knew it wouldn’t get him a promotion, but all he was looking for was an opportunity to prove he could do that job. He had presented his argument well; he would have to rely on the facts to stand on their own. He waited patiently to see what, if any, questions the man might have.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston

Postby Joel Rayne » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 am

Joel sat back slightly in his chair, moving the papers that Howard gave him to read them as he listened to the newest lawyer talk. He explained this and that, about how he came to his conclusions, and without thinking, Joel made several marks on his paper. Not necessarily bad marks, but ones that he would need to bring up with the young man who was trying oh so desperately to please Joel. Which, honestly, skeeved Joel out more than just a touch. But even so, he was dutiful and listening, actively looking from the notes on parchment to Howard’s presentation, which was really quite organized. Joel had to give him that.

As Howard slowed and finally asked if he had any questions, Joel rose a hand to give him a minute. He was pondering; what would he say that didn’t sound like he was dismissive of everything that Howard just did? He was amazed that Howard worked as hard as he did, and he wanted to show that to the young wizard lawyer, but at the same time, there had to be criticism. Hopefully, Howard could take it.

“I have several,” Joel finally said, switching to the parchment that he held in his hands, the ones he marked notes on previously, “Why did you choose to use American dollars, rather than Galleons?” he started, “Likewise, did you previously ask the man who’s paperwork this desk came from? While I’m all about choosing prices for places like Japan and Argentina, that’s not necessarily my jurisdiction. Right now, most of the prices related to outside of towns that held Quidditch teams – for example, if you go to Newquay on the Western side of England, why would you pay almost four times the amount for a Chudley Cannon’s jersey, and five times more for a Wimbourne Wasps jersey, and likewise, almost forty times more for a Ballycastle Bat’s jersey?” he questioned, his fingers tapping idly on the desk for a mere moment before looking up from his papers.

“While I understand your active need to prove yourself, and I do give you kudos for the work you’ve put into it, one of the things to do in this department is to work alongside your co-workers, rather than assume you know everything. But don’t worry; not all of your work has gone to vain. Actually, none of it has. I’ll keep all these records and send them off to the appropriate ministry of magic’s Quidditch team leagues – or, in the case of North America, their Quodpot team league.”
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
23/12/1957
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'3"
PLAYER | Windy

Postby Howard Trovato » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 am

Howard had little real choice, but to take the criticism provided to him. He was in Joel’s office, and he was the head of the department. The only real choice Howard had was how to respond to the critiques of his work as they were presented. Joel went straight into his problems and issues with the facts as they had been presented. He had wanted additional information that Howard had not been aware of, mostly because Howard had performed the task on his own. The numbers were not wrong per say, but they certainly lacked the definitive information needed to solve the matter.

No one really enjoyed criticism and Howard least of all. There were probably merits to what Joel indicated, in fact the head even attempted to provide a small bit of consolation stating he would keep the facts and send them along. The young attorney though, was tired of the whole charade. In the young, former slytherin’s mind this was why no one enjoyed when they tried to take the hard and honest work approach to move up. No one wanted to wait ten years of hand holding just for a pay bump and a slightly bigger office. Not when there were other shortcuts available. He had tried to be gracious, polite, and eager for work. Apparently none of that had worked, as none of that seemed to grant him any value. There were other ways to play the game, and Howard intended to do just that.

The young attorney showed very little outwardly. His warm smile remained, even during the critiques. He offered no rebuttals beyond a simple nod of his head at various times. When the matter was complete Howard kept his tone light and friendly,

“Of course Mr. Rayne, my deepest apologies, I will endeavor for a more team oriented approach in the future. Thank you for your time.”

There would be a team involved, a team chosen by him, and everyone else was going to tumble down.
Ministry of Magic
Junior Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
25/12/1974
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'4
PLAYER | Gaston