• Administrator

[complete] Borrowing, Not Stealing

Level Five: Department of International Magical Co-operation, incorporating the International Magical Trading Standards Body, the International Magical Office of Law and the International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats.

[complete] Borrowing, Not Stealing

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:32 pm

This thread was brought to you by the Accio Thread Quest!

It was borrowing, not stealing, if you intended to give it back.

As a lawyer, Dominic knew this, and decided to put the principle firmly into practice. It was a matter of necessity, really. The fate of the International Wizarding Community might depend on it. Well, probably not. After all, what he was actually doing was pilfering a self-writing quill from the desk of someone else in the department. Someone suitably not close to his own desk, lest he be discovered with the stolen - no, borrowed - item. Well, items. He'd also decided to borrow a pot of self-correcting ink and a few Bertie Botts beans for good measure. And the reason was the legal department's head had just dumped an extremely large amount of international judiciary report-writing on him, and frankly, he could not bear the thought of doing it by hand, and if there were any spelling mistakes he risked being sent to the Ministry's equivalent of Siberia to wait out his days. The beans were just because he thought he spotted one that might be the elusive gold-flavoured bean.

Currently, there was a mysterious paucity of self-writing quills in the Ministry at the moment, which may or may not have had anything to do with Dominic's decision to engage in a week-long, lunchtime Speed Recitation Of Dirty Limericks contest with the guy who sat next to him. Between them, they had broken more or less every quill the Ministry owned through forcing their excessive scribbling. Hence, it was the desk of - he read the name on the top of a file quickly - Anneliese Edelstein which was to sacrifice stationery up to his cause.

Ever the brazen and confident pilferer, Dominic did not shadily leg it back to his own desk, but loitered. He realised he did not know Anneliese, and he was making the entirely groundless assumption that she would be attractive and female, since he decided that Anneliese was an attractive and female name. As such, he was still leaning on the edge of the desk long after the initial theft - borrowing - had occurred.
Ministry of Magic
International Magical Cooperation
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Re: Borrowing, Not Stealing

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:28 pm

"I do believe," Anneliese had said when she'd arrived, spotting the quill almost immediately, "That that'd be my quill. And ink as well. Any particular reason you needed those items so badly you couldn't ask?"
Ministry of Magic
Austrian Ministry Liaison
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Dominic leant on the edge of the desk. Yep. Anneliese was an attractive female name for sure. Unfortunately, she also looked slightly pissed off. Maybe he should have scarpered when he had the chance.

"Emergency," he replied theatrically. "Four hundred wizarding judicial reviews to write up by nine o'clock. One Ministry-wide shortage of self-writing quills. One long-suffering lawyer with a hand cramp." He did his best to look noble, but suspected he might just look leery, so he simply gave a charming smile. Maybe she was the sort to soften before schmoozy smiles. On the other hand, maybe it would make her start yelling at him, and judging by the look on her face, it was probably the latter.
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 pm

She pursed her lips, "You might as well take it I suppose. I'm off to purchase some more tonight anyhow."

Anneliese wasn't angry, not really. It was, after all, just a quill. And she didn't need hers too badly this afternoon. "Is that usually the way you obtain your office supplies though?"
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 am

"Well, no. I usually try Brunhilda's desk first, but all of hers are gone too," he said cheerfully. "She chased me off. Something about some hooligans breaking all her quills in a speed-limerick competition. Terrible business," Dominic said airily, waving his hand.

As long as Anneliese never opened the third drawer of his desk, she would never know that it currently contained fifteen parchment rolls of limerick and a lot more broken quills.

"I'm Dominic, by the way," he said, as an afterthought. "I haven't seen you around," he commented. "Did you join recently, or have I been spending too much time in the file room?"
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 am

"File room I'd say," Anneliese mused, "Seeing as I joined last May. Anneliese Edelstein - pleasure to finally make your acquaintance Mr.Rathbone."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Dominic digested this information, proffering his hand to shake but internally processing. Where, exactly, had he been since May, if he had failed to notice this woman starting work? It was a worrying sign that he could not particularly highlight any significant life events in the past nine months, and that his memories were mostly confined to the depths of black letter Wizard law. It was no secret that he liked casual company - particularly of the female variety - but all that seemed to have been put on hold lately.

"I need to get out more," he said, a slightly glazed look in his eyes as he realised this. It was now unclear whether he was speaking to himself or to Anneliese, but he quickly snapped out of his reverie. Time to let 2003 really begin, he thought. He looked at Anneliese with a thoughtful frown.

"I don't need the quill," he said decisively, planting the offending item back on her desk. "What I need is for you to agree to come on an extremely enjoyable post-work trip to the Leaky with me, and whoever else I can persuade to skive off judicial reporting. Five-thirty. In the lobby." He brightened visibly. "Yes. This is good. Bring anyone you like. Friends. Boyfriend. Girlfriend." Not that he was in any way attempting to glean information, of course, but it would be nice to know whether she was attached before he embarrassed at least someone, if not himself.
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:46 pm

"Alright," She agreed, "It'll be a nice change I suppose, from working. I'm the Austrian Liaison, so it would make sense you wouldn't have a reason to come to my desk normally - that's why I knew your name though. I wasn't actually stalking you or anything too creepy I'm afraid. Just had your name on some documents of a case you'd been involved in from a bit ago in which the Austrian authorities had to be involved with."

Anneliese brushed her hair back, settling down in her chair before adding, "I'll see you then I suppose?"
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:56 am

Dominic shrugged. "Wouldn't blame you if you were stalking me," he said casually, though he smiled to show he was joking. His ego may be robust, but he wasn't totally insufferable. He had a vague recollection of the case she mentioned, and felt mildly glad it hadn't been an ugly international dispute, but rather mediation work that was easily settled. People tended not to like it when lawyers got involved, especially if it was a case requiring the usual range of dirty tricks and coercion which arose frequently in the Ministry, however squeaky clean it liked to pretend to be.

"I'll see you at five, then," he said brightly, already working through in his mind how he was going to extricate himself from the onerous tasks he was supposed to be doing, in order to skive off and have some fun later.
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 pm

A few hours and several completed bits of paperwork later, Anneliese was waiting patiently for his arrival. The day had flown by without much trouble, and so she'd been more than complete with her workload by the time he had specified. So she'd sat down in the cafe, and was currently flipping through a novel, or rather, the novel was flipping pages as she read through it.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 am

Dominic, usually well-groomed, looked considerably less sharp than usual when 5pm rolled around. He might have had every intention to blow off his work for his self-proclaimed Afternoon Of Fun, but in the end the workaholic in him got the better of him and he wound up feverishly writing up report after report in the vain hope of having them done by the time he was due to meet Anneliese. Eventually, it was quarter to five and he was at his wits' end, and with a shout of frustration he threw an inkwell at the wall, only to sigh and quickly reparo and scourgify the mess.

Deciding enough was enough, he grabbed his coat and stalked out of the office, letting the cold air clear his foggy head. He needed a secretary, that was what he needed. But the Ministry was pretty much too cheap to provide anyone with administrative support if they weren't the bloody Minister for Magic themselves, so he spent his whole life snowed under in paperwork doing mind-numbing admin which really ought to belong to a twenty year old in their first job.

"Miss Edelstein," he said, not quite bothering with formalities as he simply slid into a chair opposite Anneliese, who was already present and nonchalantly reading the slowly turning pages of a novel. He studied her for a second. "You look better than I feel," he said speculatively. "Austria isn't in the process of burning to the ground, then?"
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 pm

"I believe it's perfectly fine at the moment," she confirmed, shutting her book as she looked at him, "And I'll take it the paperwork you had today was quite workloads? You look it, at least. Would you like to have some tea or something? It usually does me wonders after a long day of work."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:35 am

"Tea?" Dominic paused for a moment, looking like the idea was a curious surprise. He wasn't much of a tea-drinker, finding the notion a little too proper and lot too alcohol-free to be his beverage of choice. Still, though, he'd recently come to the conclusion that his life was becoming a bit of a depressing spiral of boring, repetitive "fun", and thought perhaps he should give some new things a try in an attempt to shift the knot of frustration buried inside him.

"Go on then," he said, and flagged down a waiter to take the order, resisting the urge to ask for a drop of gin in the tea.

"Yes, the paperwork... well, let's just say, there's only so many times a man can write up hearings about Venezuelan wizards smuggling illicit sex potions across the border," he said. "And yet, I am that man, and the damn case isn't over by a long shot."
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:10 pm

"I can imagine the frustration. Tasks like that always seem to drag on infinitely." She mused, "I take it you don't drink tea much though? They've a fair brew here. Used to drink the stuff every morning, but well, been a bit too busy as of late for that to still be my habit."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:33 am

"Tea's not usually... exciting enough for me," Dominic admitted with a smirk. "I'm more partial to a hard drop of Firewhiskey." He wondered idly whether he sounded like a borderline alcoholic. Then he wondered whether he might actually be one, but decided that it wasn't a train of thought he fancied pursuing too hard.

"Work's busy for you too, then?" he commented.
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:04 am

"Mmm. Wouldn't have known it, but all too many Austrians here are committing crimes, or English wizards there. It's just unfortunate," She shrugged, "And well, I won't say I prefer tea with some alcohol, but if that's your preference, I'd say do whatever makes you happy."
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech

Postby Dominic Rathbone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 pm

"That explains why my colleagues have been complaining about those darned Austrians," Dominic said dryly. "So, you're the one that has to smooth things over between foreign ministries? I'm not sure I'd be patient enough for that," he remarked, thinking that he only just had enough patience to sit through boring court sessions attempting to reduce sentences for idiots he frankly thought ought to be locked up.
Ministry of Magic
Wizard Lawyer
BIRTHDAY
28/12/1971
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
6'0"
PLAYER | Morrigan

Postby Anneliese Edelstein » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm

"That's my job description," She agreed, "And I enjoy it. It's just a bit rough at times. As with any job I'm sure." She didn't mind her job usually - it took a lot to make her angry, and so she was able to deal with the frustration and anger on both sides of the conflict fairly well. Of course, everyone had their breaking point, and well, luckily the workload usually abated a bit before it got there.
Ministry of Magic
BIRTHDAY
14/ 3/1975
BLOOD STATUS
Muggleborn
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | pytech