FAQ

Rules, Plot, FAQ and other game docs. An excellent first stop for guests to learn About The Ministry!

FAQ

Postby From the Desk of the Minister » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

FAQ CONTENTS

Please respond to this thread if you have a question that isn't answered here!
Do not PM this account.

Instead, contact one of the admins: twufoo
OOC Administrator
Shared Administrator Account
Do not send PMs to this account

Re: FAQ

Postby From the Desk of the Minister » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Questions about character application

Can I play any non-humans? Like a werewolf, vampire, or a house elf?

At this point, humans, werewolves, ghosts, vampires, half-vampires, house elves, and goblins are the only playable species. The wizarding community wasn't very accepting of non human species, though, so it was unlikely there were many of them working in the Ministry headquarters prior to the war. Rules about hiring may change now that Kingsley is in charge, but wizard prejudices will take a lot longer.

If my character is an orphan and unaware of his/her biological parents, what should I put for their blood status--muggleborn, halfblood, or pureblood?

Blood status is what your character would've legally been able to prove during the time of the Muggleborn Registration Commission. Orphans who have no documented proof of their magical heritage are considered muggleborns.

Does my character have to work at the Ministry?/Does my Muggle have to work at the Oracle Mall?

No, but you might want to build in reasons for for your witch or wizard to be in the Ministry frequently, or your roleplay opportunities may be more limited since the game focuses on the Ministry.

The same goes for Muggles who don't work at or at least frequent the mall.

Can I play a Death Eater?

Yes, though any characters who are openly Death Eaters obviously will be on the run. Note that IC actions will result in IC consequences for all characters, and outed Death Eaters are likely to be injured, apprehended, or possibly killed at some point.

If I play a pureblood wizard, do they have to be from a canon family?

No. We're assuming that not all pureblooded families were mentioned in the books.

Can I play Severus Snape/Cedric Diggory/Tonks/some other character that died in the books?

How important is the wand information?

It's just for fun, though it can have some insight into your character. If you want to pick something randomly without going into all the wand lore details, that's okay! However, if you'd like to read up on wand lore, check out this post
Do not PM this account.

OOC Administrator

Questions about rules and other OOC things

So it says all threads are open. Does that mean anyone can barge into my character's office even if the door is locked? What about threads that happen at my character's home?

All threads are open just means that if the character has the ability to enter, they can. If the office door is locked, someone can't get in unless they know the password. If the thread is happening at home, only those who have access to the residence can enter. It also means if you're having a conversation in a public loo, someone else can enter and overhear you.

If someone joins a thread in a place they shouldn't be, deal with that IC. Your character can stun intruders, or at the very least, give them a dirty look for being so rude! Or if you think it's a mistake, talk to the player.

Do I have to ask before joining an ongoing thread?

If you're comfortable with the players, just join it! If not, it doesn't hurt to ask first.

What's with the inventory system? Is that like a leveling system?

Inventory rewards are mostly OOC as rewards for participating in certain board activities. The only IC benefit they confer is that players can use them to purchase special ability status for their characters.

I had this idea for a plot.

Great! Post the details in the plot forum to recruit others to join!

If you need help fleshing it out, grab a member of staff (twufoo in particular is good at plot fleshing outing) on IM or send a PM and we'll help you make it work.

I had this idea for (insert department or committee)...

Brilliant! We want to hear it! Grab a member of staff on IM or send a PM.

I thought of a neat job title but it's not on the list.

Awesome! Grab a member of staff on IM or send a PM and we'll see about getting it added.

Someone god modded or metagamed in a post. What can I do?

Dealing with things In Character is always the easiest. If someone says your character smiled at their joke when you know he wouldn't (godmodding), put the correct action in your reply. "Bob, who found the joke rather lame, did not smile. Instead he winced."

If someone's character knows something they shouldn't (metagaming) then have your character be properly surprised. Maybe accuse them of snooping or using legilimency. However your character would react to someone knowing a secret they shouldn't, that's how you deal.

If it's a really egregious thing or you think the other player might've just misunderstood/made a mistake, you can always talk to them.

I noticed you got (thing from canon) wrong...

Oh dear. Grab a member of staff in the cbox or via IM/PM and let us know. We might've just gotten things mixed up or it might've been changed on purpose. Either way, let us know!

What about this typo I found in (official document)?

Go ahead and drop a member of staff a line about that one! We'll get it fixed up right quick.

I don't totally remember the stuff in the books about the Ministry of Magic. Should I reread all of the books before joining? That'll take weeks and I wanna RP now!

*cough*We might not remember it either... *cough*

You don't have to reread the books. Basic knowledge and understanding of Harry Potter is good, but the HP Wiki and HP Lexicon are really handy for looking up stuff you've forgotten.

That said, if you would like to refresh your memory on the part of the books specific to the Ministry, check out the following:
      OotP - Chapter 7 - Visitor’s entrance, floors and departments
      OotP - Chapter 34 - 36 Dept of Mysteries and the atrium
      DH - Chapter 12 - 13 Employee loo entrance, the Ministry under Death Eater control, and the Muggleborn Registration Commission
Do not PM this account.

OOC Administrator

Questions about the in game world

What's considered canon?

To create the game world, everything in the Harry Potter books (excluding the epilogue) is considered canon or 'historical' facts. Things on Pottermore, interviews with JKR, etc were used whenever they fit the plot.

'Excluding for the epilogue?'

If they affect your character, the details in the Deathly Hallows epilogue can happen if you want them to, or you can go another direction. Harry doesn't have to marry Ginny and spawn horribly named children, but he can. Draco doesn't have to start balding, but he can. Anything that happened through the Battle of Hogwarts is set. After that, it's yours to interpret.

How do characters get into and around the ministry? Can they apparate?

Employees can connect their homes, via the Floo Network, to the fireplaces in the Atrium. Apparition into and out of the Ministry is possible in the Atrium only. High level protective spells and charms like the ones at Hogwarts stop apparition elsewhere within the Ministry Headquarters. Getting from one level to another can be done using the lifts or stairwells. Level Ten can only be accessed via the stairway on Level Nine.

The public lavatory entrances also remain open as an option for witches or wizards already employed at the the Ministry to enter. This last one is the least used method of entrance, not only due to the fact that it's less convenient than apparition, but also because of the stigma of the Time We Don't Talk About.

The Time We Don't Talk About?

That's what many of the employees call the period of time during the Second War when Voldemort was in control of the Ministry.

My character is LGBTQI*. What are the prevailing attitudes towards LGBTQI* folk in the wizarding world?

We don't have an official stance, but unofficially we've been basing how wizards treat LGBT issues off how things are in the non-magical world, so it varies according to whatever circle your character is in, but in the era where the game takes place, there still is widespread stigma. Basically, it's up to you to choose how much you want any LGBT issues to have affected the character.

If you have questions or are uncertain about how a character might feel or might have been treated (especially older ones) don't hesitate to ask!

What kind of technology is there in the Ministry/the magical world? Do they have the internet? TVs?

The issue with technology is that magic is known to make Muggle electricity go all wonky, effectively breaking anything run by it. If you're lucky. If you're unlucky, it'll explode. So most wizards don't bother.

The Ministry Mews housing development is equipped with Electro-Arcano Transmogrifiers, or ETs. This cutting-edge technology allows wizards to enjoy the conveniences of muggle technology without interference from magical currents. Note: this technology is still somewhat experimental. Backfires and malfunctions should be expected.

ETs have not been approved for use outside of the Mews.

For communication and getting work done, Owls are used for sending letters and parcels from wizard to wizard over long distances. Inside the Ministry, Interdepartmental Memos - small, violet colored paper airplanes charmed to fly to their intended recipient - function much like Muggle email, and are the primary form of communication between Ministry employees. Owls and Interdepartmental Memos can be sent in the the Correspondence, Calls, Etc forum, and the form for sending Interdepartmental Memos can be found here.

More recently, the Protonet was invented, allowing for wizards to have their own version of the internet. It consists of thin, hardcover booklets called 'protobooks' or 'p-books' that are all linked to a central data storage artifact via protean charms and function as a slightly more primitive version of the internet.

While the Protonet is rising in use, for the most part, it's still largely quill, parchment, and filing cabinets. But cheer up! Filing is a breeze when you have magic!

For entertainment, there is a wizarding radio network known as The Wizarding Wireless, or just the Wireless, that has news and radio programs.

What does the general public know about the Hallows, horcruxes, and Voldemort's demise?

Enough people were present at the Battle of Hogwarts that the events are common knowledge, although likely twisted and exaggerated by the rumor mill. The details of what happened to Harry in the Forbidden Forest or his conversation with Dumbledore in 'King's Cross Station' are not.

Harry mentioned the word 'horcruxes' during his final stand against Voldemort, so rumors about the word are likely floating around as well. But remember, horcrux is a very obscure and dark subject, so not a lot of wizards will be aware of its meaning and the specific details of Voldemort's horcruxes are not common knowledge. Harry, Ron, and Hermione kept the details to themselves, even after the war.

The Deathly Hallows remain as obscure as ever, not even mentioned by name in the children's story, the Tale of the Three Brothers.
Do not PM this account.

OOC Administrator

Return to Visitor's Entrance: Important Docs