• Administrator

The Ties that Bind Us [Vignettes]

Past, future, or Alternate timeline threads go here

Re: The Ties that Bind Us [Vignettes]

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 pm

“Well I’ll take the corn into Missus Howard, you kids get the feed into the barn” At this point, Rose had handed over the bundle of corn to Mr. Howard when he gestured for them, cradling them in the crook of his arm. His hand outstretched, a lone finger pointed at the rickety doors of the barn. “Just off to the side and when you spot the sacks just drop it off there. That’ll do me just fine.”

“Alright Mr. Howard” Rose nodded her head, her cheeks rosy red from the cold. “And then we can look at some pumpkins, yeah?”

The old man bellowed a hearty laugh, his toothless grin filled with utter joy and a mirth crinkling the corner of his twinkling eyes. “Yes, then you two can look at the pumpkins and pick some out. I’ll be right back so don’t go running off too far.” With that, he began in the direction of house and left the two siblings behind with Galloway, who delightfully soaked in their attention.

Soft giggles escaped Rose’s lips when Gallie gave her some kisses after Aston, turning her head every which way to avoid being completely smothered. “Come on, Gallie let’s go to the barn!” With that, Rose ran ahead towards the open barn doors, the dog keeping an even pace with the smaller girl.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

Aston trailed after her, tugging the wagon along as they trundled up the path to the barn. He sighed, wishing that the ground was paved, but his shoes had seen better days at any rate. Still, he was glad he'd worn gloves when he finally got to the barn, and not just because it was cold. The thing about farms was all the dirt, and every farm was the same in that respect.

"Wait up," he said, abandoning the wagon at the door and coming into the barn proper. Gallie tried to lick his face, but he ducked into the hood of his coat to avoid it. "Call the dog, Rose," he said, because she liked animals more than he did and never seemed to mind all the licking and pawing.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 pm

More than happy to comply, Rose came to a halt as she waddled in a circle to wait for her brother. “Come here Gallie!” she cooed out, patting her upper thighs to beckon the Scottish deerhound, the dog rushing over in long strides and greeted her in no time. “Now, now didn’t we teach you better” she playfully scolded Galloway, patting her wet nose to avoid the assault of kisses. The dog’s tail wagged happily, Gallie finally plopping her bum down on the ground. “Now that’s a good girl” Rose praised, scratching behind Gallie’s ears.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am

Aston shook his head as he caught up to her.

"You've got a way with animals," he said. Considering they lived on a farm, that was good for her, and Aston wished he was the same. He liked cats, but that was about it. "C'mon, let's finish this so we can get to the pumpkin patch." They were at the barn already, and the doors were wide open, inviting to some perhaps, but Aston had to keep down a sigh of resignation at the smell and the always present accompanying dust.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Rose beamed like the sun at the compliment, her cheeks rosy as ever as she patted Gallie on the head. When he mentioned the pumpkin patch, her mind had easily zoned in on the task at hand. “Uh huh!” She grabbed the handle of their little red wagon, and pulled it with vigor as it wobbled into the barn.

Once just past the doors, something just beyond the barn wall caught the redhead’s attention. In between the cracks of the old barn’s back wall the shadows of a small, two-legged creature ran rampantly in incomplete patterns; one of Mr. Howard’s chickens! It was strange to Rose, as normally Mr. Howard always had his chickens out behind his house, not behind the barn. “Hey Aston, it looks like one of Mr. Howard’s chickens got out. Take care of the feed and I’ll grab ‘er” she said indicating the presumable hen outside. She didn’t really wait for an answer, as the little redhead was already on her way to round out behind the barn.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

"Maybe there's a re-" he began, but she was gone too fast. "-ason," he finished to himself. He sighed. "Sure, chase chickens while I do the grunt work," he said to himself, but to be fair he would rather be doing this than that. Chasing a chicken meant catching a chicken and that meant touching a chicken and yeah, he didn't like chicken unless it was on his plate.

Resigned, he began to unload the feed, stacking it neatly along the side of the barn. It was boring but it didn't take long, and then he abandoned the wagon to look for Rose, appearing around the side of the barn and wiping the sweat from his brow as he looked around for her - and the errant chicken.

"Rose?"
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm

It didn’t take long for Aston to find Rose, because she came running out from behind the barn like a bat out of hell. He could catch a glimpse of her paled reaction, just moments before her arms wrapped tightly around his midsection. She was terrified. “T-Th-Th-The chi-chick-ken…” the redhead stammered out, fright filling her voice. “I-Its head…” She couldn't help but start crying.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 am

Alarmed, he reflexively circled his arms around her tightly.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "What's wrong with it's head?" Even as he said it he realized what it must be and he awkwardly smoothed Rose's hair. "Sshh, it's okay. Chickens just ... do that... sometimes."
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 am

“I-I didn’t think that w-was t-t-true” she hiccupped, not relinquishing her hold on her brother. Now she heard from Desmond that chickens could still run around with their heads literally chopped off, but she had always thought that was just nonsense. They weren’t magical, especially if muggles like Mr. Howard had some! Speaking of the much older farmer, he came out to see the children next to the barn.

“Hey, what’re you two doing out next to the farm? Did something happen?” he inquired, seeing Rose’s ruddy and tear stained cheeks.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am

"Rose found a chicken," Aston explained. "Uh, a dead chicken." He gave her a squeeze. "It's okay, Rose." He added, somewhat awkwardly because he had no idea what he could say that would be comforting.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am

Old man Howard looked between the two with something akin to regret in his eyes. In an attempt to comfort the little redhead, he smoothed the hair atop her head in gentle strokes. “Aston, go an’ check out some pumpkins for you an’ your sister, alright?” he requested. “I’d like to talk to Rose about what just happened.”

Rose sniffled, letting go of Aston finally as she took a few steps back while wiping the tears away from her cheeks. “O-Okay” she nodded to Mr. Howard before looking at to her brother. “Y-You’ll pick out t-the largest pump-kins, yeah?”
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 am

He didn't like to leave Rose alone when she was upset, and they were supposed to pick the pumpkins together, but ... well, it was perhaps a bit of relief to let someone older do the comforting.

"I promise," he told her solemnly, taking hold of the handle to the wagon. He gave her one more encouraging smile before he headed out toward the pumpkin patch, only glancing back once.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 pm

After several minutes while Aston browsed the selection, Rose and Mr. Howard came out of the barn. Though her cheeks were still ruddy and tear-stained, her expression was drastically less fear-filled than the last time her brother saw her. They walked towards Aston, Rose moving a bit faster to see what he found so far.

“Found any you like?” the farmer asked as Rose found her spot next to Aston.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am

Aston had only picked out one so far, he kept looking back at the barn. The one he did pick out was pretty big, he'd barely been able to get it into the wagon.

"Check this one out," he said. "It's big and perfectly round."
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm

“Well if you’re gonna pick bigins like that,” he said gruffly, “I better go get the truck an’ give you both a lift home.” With that, their next door neighbor walked off towards the house as Rose moved closer to Aston to inspect his first find. “Wow! You could carve an entire spooky town in it!” For the next half hour of inspecting only the biggest pumpkins, the two managed to gather three more orange gourds before helping Mr. Howard load them into the bed of the truck and heading back to the house. After Rose cleaned out the pumpkins and Aston carving into them, their jack o’ lanterns sat proudly on the stoop amongst the other decorations.

August 24th, 1986

With only days before the start of the new school year, Diagon Alley was flooded with witches and wizards alike; ages anywhere from toddlers to the near decrepit. And in the midst of it all, the Fillion family would make their trip there to gather all the kids’ school supplies for the upcoming year. Momma and Poppa Fillion stood smack dab in the middle of the swarm of kids, divvying up their tasks and who would take who shopping. This year was yet another big year because Aston and Rose would be attending their first year at their respective schools.

Hence the soured expression that the redhead bore on her face, her arms crossed over her chest as she scowled emptily into space. Once Rose heard the news that she wouldn’t be attending Hogwarts much like her older brothers Desmond and Aston, she had been put into an off-mood. Hearing that she’d be shipped off to Beauxbatons Academy to be a proper lady and such, made that off-mood even fouler.

“Alrigh’ Christian, you take – Sawyer, you stay righ’ here, where I can see you!” Agatha, a.k.a., Momma Fillion, openly scolded their second youngest. “Take Finn, Aston, an’ Rose. Get their supplies!” And just like that she dismissed them into a smaller group, taking Sawyer and Benedict with her as Alexis and Desmond sauntered off somewhere else. Their dad started off in the direction of the bookstore, figuring books would be the best thing to get first, wanting to leave their wands as the last task they do. “Come on, let’s get yer books an’ we’ll go from there to the more excitin’ bits” he grinned back at Aston and Rose, pushing Finnian along in his stroller.

Rose said nothing as her eyes squinted even more, intensifying her scowl even more.
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Aston didn't know how to make Rose feel better about going to another school - he personally would have loved to go somewhere no one knew who he was and he didn't have any siblings to tease him. However, Durmstrang was apparently out of the question.

"Want a chocolate frog card?" He asked her, offering it to her. "It's Dumbledore, but I have him already." Several of him, actually.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm

She looked downwards at the card, a tiny smile showing as she took it. “Thanks Aston” Rose muttered, her eyes fluttering up at her brother. “This is so stupid, I don’t want to go to this prissy school. I wanna go with you…”
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:45 pm

"I'd ask if I could go with you, but I think we both know what the answer would be," he said. If Durmstrang had been a no, surely the same would be said for Beauxbatons.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

Postby Rose Fillion [Child] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 am

Her defeated gaze fell to the ground as they ambled along with her family. “I know” she admitted rather miserably. They entered the bookstore, the bell ringing overhead as her boots scuffed the wooden flooring. “This isn’t fair…”
ALTERNATE
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
4'9"
PLAYER | Claira

Postby Aston Fillion [child] » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 am

"It's not," Aston agreed. Just like most of their parents decisions, as far as he was concerned. "It's stupid. I don't see why we don't just go to the same school... but... let's send each other owls every week, how about that? And ... I'll learn French." He wasn't thrilled about any of this, but he figured it was going to be worse for Rose, who didn't want the anonymity that he craved.
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'0"
PLAYER | Niky

PreviousNext

Return to Time Turner